2015-12-07

Tinking?

   I usually start a day with a nice cup of coffee, but I couldn't make one this morning.  I was too tired to do the morning ritual because I didn't have enough sleep last night. (I was watching TV until late at night!)  After I made breakfast for my son and sent him to school, I looked around for something to wake me up.  I thought it would be "knitting," and I started working on an ordered item from one of my customers.  I worked two rows in stockinette stitch, and I found out that I needed to increase a couple of stitches on the second row. Since I couldn't give an imperfect item to my customer, I had to unravel the entire row!  This was not something that I wanted to do first thing in the morning.  I grabbed my yarn ball and needles to start my good day.  But my morning was started with "unraveling," and it caused me to feel much less than successful!  I needed another option to wake me up fully and that option had to make me feel better.  So, I picked up a knitting book which was sitting right in front of me on my desk.  I like reading stories about knitting techniques.  I started turning the pages, and one word on the page drew my attention.  This word was "tinking."  It was explained with a picture of unraveled stitches.  The explanation went like this;  "Knitters affectionately call the unknitting of stitches "tinking," since the word "knit" spelled backward is "tink." ( Book "Knit it!--Learn The Basics and Knit 22 Beautiful Project" (c) Melissa Leapman , Publisher - Chronicle Books.)  "Tinking" hit the nail on the head for me, and I felt really good after learning this new word.  Learning this new word, "tink," had the same effect on me as a strong cup of coffee - it woke me up! 

No comments: