2017-01-04

What stitch is the best for strong character yarn?

   I dug up one of my yarns from the bottom of a container a couple days ago.  I really like the color but it was really hard for me to decide what to knit with it.  So, it was in my yarn container a few years.  This type of novelty yarn is called 'boucle' yarn.  This beautiful yarn is originally from ICE (Yarn Paradise in Turkey).  I think this yarn line is already not made anymore. (This is sad!  I wanted to get other colors!)  I was staring at the yarn ball for a while and waited for an idea came up -for what to make with it.  This yarn has a strong character.  Too strong....It may not good to make cable pattern - pattern would be hidden under this colors.  I thought and thought....and finally I came to a conclusion.  Strong/complicated character yarn needs simple stitches.  My choice of stitch is garter stitch.  It is a reversible look stitch.  I decided to make a cowl with this yarn!  My pattern is as follows.  If you have a this kind of boucle yarn (this yarn has skinny part and thicker part),  try this pattern to consume your yarn stash.  I thought simple stitches worked great to make the yarn feature stand out. 

Needle : Size us10 (6mm) circular needle - 32 inches of length
Yarn : Boucle type yarn 2 balls (about 440 m)
1 stitch marker

Cast on 200.  Place stitch marker on the right-hand needle, and join to work in circle. 
Row 1 : Knit.
Row 2 : Purl.
Repeat Row 1 and 2 in turn. 

Keep working until you get 10 inches before binding off. 



No comments: