2015-10-14

Bamboo needles or Aluminum needles?

Bamboo or Aluminum?
There are generally three types of knitting needles (the same as crochet hooks).  They are made of wood, metal or plastic.   I would like to talk about bamboo (one of the kinds of wood) and aluminum needles (metal) today.  
   When I started learning how to knit, my mother gave me a pair of metal needles.  I do not know exactly what kind of metal they were at that time, but I just remember they were very light weight metal.  So, I am guessing they were aluminum needles. I liked the sound of 'click, click' when I was working with them.  I felt very comfortable with those needles because they allowed me to work smoothly.  Later day, I clearly found out metal needles were convenient, especially when I work with fuzzy yarn.  I tried with bamboo needles with the same kind of yarn, but the yarn tend to become tight on the needle, and in the end, I often have to slide stitches to go on to the next stitches.  That did not happen so often when I was using aluminum needles.  I am not going to say "I don't like bamboo needles."  Actually, I often use bamboo needles, too!!   They are really good when I work with lace yarn.  Lace yarn is very thin, if I use aluminum...well, any kind of metal needles, they often slips out from stitches!  Bamboo needles are lighter than metal needles, and they keep stitches safely on them!  Bamboo and aluminum both have their own 'match' with certain types of yarn. 

No comments: