2015-10-02

Non-wool yarn dying

   I used to dye only 100% wool yarn.  The result was always satisfying.  Dye was perfectly settled on the fiber and the color was usually vivid.  
    A couple of years ago, my friends gave me some non wool yarn (55% Nylon and 45% Acrylic fiber blend).  I knew that Nylon takes dye very well through my childhood experience (my mother was using kids' drink to dye yarn for her craft).  Acrylic fiber is required special dye, and it can be dangerous for home dying process.  The word "Nylon" reminded me of my mother's experiment, and it was enough motivation for me to try dying this nylon/acrylic blend yarn.  What would happen when I dye man-made fiber like this?!  The yarn my mother used was 100% Nylon.  The color that I remember was very bright orange.  The yarn that I was about to use was 55% Nylon content.  I was very curious about the result of dying this yarn, and I jumped to start!  
    I soaked a hank of yarn in water for about 30 minutes (to saturate the fiber -- it removes the air which is trapped in fiber).  Then, I squeezed out the water, and spread the yarn on a plastic sheet.  I made dye solution, and took it with a sponge brush.  "Ready?"  
    I used four colors for the yarn, and I steamed it about 30 minutes.  After waiting for it to cool down, I started washing the fiber.  I was surprised at the color.  My mother's 100% Nylon fiber dying showed very bright color, but my 55% Nylon fiber showed soft but somewhat solid.  The picture above on the right is the yarn that I dyed.  The acrylic fiber in the yarn didn't take dye, and the color became soft.  After I washed it, I finished with a sheet of fabric softener (I didn't have a liquid one!). This is how I use the fabric softener sheet--- I dipped it in the water and rubbed it between hands, then the softener comes out from the sheet to the water!)  I rinse the yarn in the water and squeeze out the water...and dried by hanging on a hook. The blend of 45% Acrylic and 55% Nylon shows beautiful shimmer, too! 


No comments: